Cinderella on the Red Carpet

This past week I attended the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix UK premiere on the arm of the movie's screenwriter, Michael Goldenberg - although he would be the first to insist that the invitation was not extended in his attempt to accessorize (arm candy is so passe), but rather stemmed from his desire to have the pleasure of my company (the fact that this also meant he had a lovely young thing to grace his side was simply his ego's good fortune).

For those of you who would like to see what my amazingly talented sister managed to put together for me to wear in a mere hour and a half the morning of the premiere click here. You'll see me smiling momentarily at the camera about a quarter of the way through the video - sandwiched in-between the Matthew Lewis (Neville)and Katie Leung (Cho) interviews. I'm with the guy who looks like a writer.

And? How was it? Truthfully? A bit terrifying. I learned that people run the world - and that it can be downright scary to be those people. But also, it felt like existing. Walking in front of those throngs of screaming souls, standing in front of walls of flashing bulbs - I still felt just like me. It felt the same to breathe. Felt the same as it does right now. Which, in itself, is terrifying and reassuring all at the same time.

Not too long ago I sent an email in response to one of my friends who was musing what it must be like to "have it all together." He wondered if that's where happiness lies. After this experience, I more firmly believe what I told him then - that it just raises the stakes, makes things more precarious - makes you feel you have more to lose. "Arriving" can actually be very unsettling.

If I lack my usual coherence with this post - forgive me. This has been a long, fairy tale of a week - the end of which is swiftly approaching - in fact, when I commence typing this, it will essentially be over.

So what of an epilogue? Hmmm. Let's see. I met Tim Burton - and judging from his approving nod - I believe he genuinely liked me. Now that's a happy ending.

No comments: