Baking a la Anne Gogh


Baking is an artistic endeavor for me. It's cathartic. It expresses a mood. It creates something that others can take and make their own.

Since the spectrum of ingredients form the basis of my palette, I usually see recipes as suggestions: Two eggs? Sure. A teaspoon of soda? Whatever's left in this tin should be enough. A cup of buttermilk? I don't even have that - besides, some chocolate soy with a dash of cream of tartar and a dollop of yogurt would be so much better.

So I didn't hesitate to undertake a recipe for chocolate cupcakes without any of the requisite cocoa and the wrong type of flour. I didn't use the sugar or liquids recommended either, but that was just me executing my creative vision.

I measured everything out with entirely foreign metric cups, poured the batter into a type of crumpet pan, and popped it into an oven heated to an unknown temperature.

And the result? A light golden mocha spongecake with creme de cacao frosting. Voila!

3 comments:

Ms.Nožisková said...

Ha! Maya! Don't get jealous! Get even! I'm convinced everyone is capable of such feats, the trick is not to take baking so, well, seriously.

Bob said...

I watched the movie "Stranger than Fiction" with Will Ferrell and I thought of you baking and writing.Have you seen it yet? Bob

Nondaba said...

Uhmmm!You just made me weak.With these on my table, you can ask anything in the world and I shall give it to you. Ver nice