Baking a la Anne Gogh


Baking is an artistic endeavor for me. It's cathartic. It expresses a mood. It creates something that others can take and make their own.

Since the spectrum of ingredients form the basis of my palette, I usually see recipes as suggestions: Two eggs? Sure. A teaspoon of soda? Whatever's left in this tin should be enough. A cup of buttermilk? I don't even have that - besides, some chocolate soy with a dash of cream of tartar and a dollop of yogurt would be so much better.

So I didn't hesitate to undertake a recipe for chocolate cupcakes without any of the requisite cocoa and the wrong type of flour. I didn't use the sugar or liquids recommended either, but that was just me executing my creative vision.

I measured everything out with entirely foreign metric cups, poured the batter into a type of crumpet pan, and popped it into an oven heated to an unknown temperature.

And the result? A light golden mocha spongecake with creme de cacao frosting. Voila!

4 comments:

Maya said...

Okay, I am COMPLETELY jealous of your baking skills and your baking ego -- no fear in you! Me -- I fret the whole way...

And these look absolutely delish! Creme de cacao frosting? I'm in heaven!

anne spice said...

Ha! Maya! Don't get jealous! Get even! I'm convinced everyone is capable of such feats, the trick is not to take baking so, well, seriously.

Bob said...

I watched the movie "Stranger than Fiction" with Will Ferrell and I thought of you baking and writing.Have you seen it yet? Bob

Nondaba said...

Uhmmm!You just made me weak.With these on my table, you can ask anything in the world and I shall give it to you. Ver nice