Just in time for V-Day... Blueberry Pancakes for Virgins


Happy Valentine's Day! Oh, if only I'd poured the batter for these pancakes in heart-shapes, I would have had the makings for the perfect V-day post. As it is, I'm just happy I remembered to grab the camera and capture the last two pancakes that remained of the entire batch before they too were devoured with glorious drizzles of hot syrup.

I made these wondrously fluffy blueberry pancakes last weekend for my friend Rohit, who (gasp!) had never before tasted this quintessential American breakfast fare (forgive him, if his name didn't give it away, he's from India). Never fear, I did cuisine-Americana proud - apart from a few over-cooked edges they were practically-perfect: slightly sweet airy cakes zinging with succulent bursts of tart mauvy berries.

My only complaint is that the two remaining pancakes that were photoed don't quite reflect the batch's divine nature. Fortunately, Rohit says, for the sake of a photo-op, he's more than willing to let me make them for him again. As someone who deems most "western" fare bland, unappetizing, and wholly in need of chili sauce, I consider this an enormous compliment and evidence of just how good these pancakes were.



Anne Spice's Blueberry Pancakes

This is a fantastic blueberry pancake recipe - in league with even the best of your buttermilk variety, without the buttermilk (after all, who ever has buttermilk on hand - or can even find it in your local corner shop for that matter?).

The trick is making sure all of the ingredients are room temperature so that the melted better doesn't separate and solidify - I put all the wet ingredients in the microwave for a few seconds on low so that the butter would mix in smoothly. As they always say with pancakes: Do not overmix - just barely combine, lumps are okay! Cook on low heat (to avoid my burned edges) for about 3 minutes on each side. Enjoy!

3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups plain low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter
As many fresh blueberries as you can pack in! (Aim for 2 cups)

No comments: